Sunday, November 23, 2008

A New Shelf.

This was another weekend full of visits to Bazaars(sadly, this was the last weekend for the Christmas Bazaars in my area), Flea Markets, Antique Shops, and Thrift Stores. I've been on the hunt for some good pieces of furniture lately, especially a bookshelf. The cheaply made particle board is slowly being phased out, and the good quality solid wood furniture is taking over. I like pieces that will last, and pieces that can fit into many designs and spaces, not unlike my new(old) dresser. I ran into this piece today, and although it's not exactly a bookshelf, it is just perfect.

For the moment it will be used for storage in my bedroom. The cubbies are the perfect size for those cube wicker baskets that can be found nearly everywhere, so I plan to purchase a few for smaller items. The other cubbies will be used for small blankets and pillows, and books.

I can envision this piece used in many spaces to come - storage for toys in a playroom, placed in an entryway to hold baskets of hats and mittens with a tray for keys on top, used to store books and records, kept in a dining room as a sideboard with pretty dishes stacked inside, or used as a television stand in a family room. So much more than a bookshelf! This piece has a long, long life ahead.

2 comments:

Vonlipi said...

Very nice find! Congrats! You're lucky to have had a weekened of bazaars and flea markets..I stayed inside and took car of my Significant Other..Dan...who was sick as a dog....

Nikki said...

Oh no! I hope Dan feels better soon.