Monday, January 17, 2011

A Creative Resource Flower

One of my assignments this semester was to come up with a creative resource that would help teach a Scientific concept to students of a grade of our choosing. I decided to steer clear of my usual book projects and get crafty with this one. I chose to do grade one Understanding Life Systems, specifically characteristics and functions of plants. I sewed up a 3D model that starts as a seed and blooms into a flower.

The roots were added after this photo was taken, but they can be pulled out of the seed first.

The whole project is made out of felt, save for the hemp string roots and the stamens in the flower, which I picked up in the bridal section of my local craft store. I sewed wires into the petals so they can be bent into a bud and then opened up. It was very simple to make, I just made the pattern up as I went.

Of course growing a real plant in the classroom would be a more valuable learning tool, but this can be used in conjunction with that as a lesson prop, and something to refer to and to be played with over the unit.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

More 365 and Another Peek..




As for this sewing project, it is not going exactly as I had hoped. It's a lot more uneven and messy than I would like it to be, but since it is my first real attempt at Patchwork, I am going to chalk it up to a learning experience. I can't expect to be perfect from the get go.

It is still unfinished, but I am not regretting going for this project as I had thought I might. It has been a wonderful journey. I hope to have it finished by the end of the week and accompanying me to Peterborough on Sunday night!

Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Sneaky Peek..

and the first photo of the year. Yes, I am doing Project 365 again. Perhaps this year I will make it past November!