Monday, July 2, 2012

Freezer Jam

The last time I made jam was probably when I was four years old, and by made I really mean slowed down the process while my mom let me help her make jam. I really wanted to give it a go and had all these fresh strawberries at the ready.

Since I don't have a canning set-up, I thought that freezer jam would be the easiest way to go. It was much easier than I had even imagined - it literally took less than 20 minutes. All you need is three ingredients: 4 cups of fruit, 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar, and freezer jam pectin (which can be found in the baking aisle of your local grocery store).


I crushed up the berries with a potato masher. I like chunky jam, so I made sure not to mash them too much. I stirred in the sugar, then let sit for 15 minutes. While it sat, I washed and dried the jars. I over estimated, I only needed two.

After waiting the 15 minutes, I stirred in the pectin, let it sit for a minute and ladelled it into the jars making sure to leave an inch of space at the top. They last in the fridge for six weeks and in the freezer for a year.


That's it! I could not believe how quick and easy it was, not to mention the difference in price between the jam I normally buy. I will definitely be making more (I'm thinking blueberry), but adding less sugar because this batch was a little sweet.


Delish!


Also, don't forget to enter the Pyrex Giveaway. I will be drawing a winner tomorrow!

No comments: