Monday, April 27, 2009

Attempted Gardening.

I'm planting a vegetable garden this year. I haven't planted a vegetable garden since I was eight years old, so I was very excited to get my hands dirty again. I also like the idea of being more involved with the food I'm eating. Planting, caring for, picking, and preparing food all within a few metres. I don't have a large amount of land, so it really wont accomodate very much food, but it's a start. I've been waiting weeks for the weather to warm up, and for midterms to be over with to be able to start this project.

Most of the front and back yard had been cleaned up and weeded a few weeks ago, but the two plots I plan to use for my garden hadn't been touched yet. It was a glorious day today so when I got home from class I knew I had to spend it outside. The perfect time to prepare my little garden for planting! As soon as I started pulling, hundreds of tiny wasps swarmed around me. Eek! That was the end of the gardening plans. I'll give it another go once the wasp situation is dealt with. We think they're living in a wooden beam that outlines the little garden.

For now, I'm enjoying my Eggling, which has sprouted.

Wild Strawberry was a much better choice for someone who likes things to grow quickly. I did really like the cactus though. I had never seen a cactus grow from a tiny seed before, so it was neat seeing it happen. Maybe I will try again one day.

Right now I am excited to see the changes in this little guy.

No comments: